Why, make him the coolest birthday cake in the world, of course!
And if it just so happened that he loved "Calvin & Hobbes" as much as me, well then it would HAVE to be a Calvin & Hobbes cake, now wouldn't it?
For something this amazing it takes planning, creativity, and time.
At about 8pm I began looking up various and sundry images of Calvin & Hobbes on the Internet in order to find just the right one. I would have started sooner, but you know how it is.
I then baked three 10x13 cakes and let them cool. While they cooled, I made the frosting, divided it, and mixed it into 5 different colors.
From there, I arranged the cakes and began cutting out the shapes. (I had started frosting Calvin when I remembered to take the picture.) I also added music notes with left over cake.
Next I frosted the cakes. This took me forever. The frosting wouldn't stick to the sides well, so I had to work with it. I admit, I was about half way through frosting when I really wondered what I had gotten myself into.
It was then that I began to think of all of the time this amazing teacher has spent on our behalf. (I have had 2 kids in his class and Red Pepper is the third.)
First off, he is a teacher. I know, enough said. But let's not stop there. He goes above and beyond doing wonderful things in addition.
For example, he films the kids throughout the year and at the end of the year he spends many hours putting together an awesome DVD of their experiences, complete with background music, for the kids. He also makes a CD of the music they sing in class, because, yes, this talented teacher also plays guitar and sings with the kids.
He motivates them to work hard by rewarding them with "super activities", such as an evening of "Doc's Pizza" and Comedy Sportz or a classroom party with computer games and dance revolution. My kids loved it and never missed an assignment so as not to jeopardize their chances of going.
I thought also of how caring and thoughtful he is, of how fun he makes learning with his many voices, or his creative assignments. I wondered how he does it.
After that, I didn't mind how much time it took. After all, I knew it was going to be great.
Finally, I added the details. I was pleased with it when it was done. I'm not going to tell you what time I finally got to bed, though.
The next day, I took the cake to Red Pepper's class. Of course Mr. Amazing was impressed and the class was overjoyed.
I did manage to take a picture before we dived in.
Happy Birthday!
9 comments:
Whoa...it WAS quite the process, wasn't it? I knew it. Thanks for taking the time...and for saying nice things which I probably don't deserve all of anyhow.
It is appreciated.
Awesome work!!! do you take birthday cake requests? ;)
And I'm supposed to make your cake for your birthday. I wonder if Albertsons has any specials? (Kidding, of course). One of these days you'll finally take the cake decorating class you want to and find that the instructor asks you to teach instead! Great job!
You are amazing. And I think I'M overscheduled!
tchn-
Actually, I think you deserve more, only I didn't want to embarrass you too much.
grin-
Thank you. I would consider a request, but we'd have to work out a deal. ;)
pj-
Ah yes, one of these days. Maybe I could learn how to frost the sides and avoid crumbs.
diane-
Thanks! It's an infrequent hobby so it works out.
Fun Fun!!!
They do take forever! I have decided that in the future I need to make the cake and frosting a day or two in advance. Then.. on the b-day start first thing in the morning so it will be done by the time we want to eat it.
That is amazing! Calvin and Hobbes is probably the best comic strip ever drawn. Maybe you should make a cake for Bill Watterson, his birthday is July 5th.
Far-
Only problem w/baking the cake ahead of time is it dries out. I frost mine as soon as it is cool to keep the cake moist. Unless, of course, you know how to keep a cake moist.
NY-
Well, well. Another C&H fan! So cool:)
YUP! Keep the cake in the pan and cover it with plastic wrap. Don't let the plastic touch the cake or it will rip off that top "skin" of the cake.
Post a Comment