Monday, September 1, 2008

He finally got it off!

For those of you who didn't know, wiz kid has been wearing a cast for a month now.

What happened? you ask. Well, the whole story goes like this. It seems wiz kid pushed Mr. tickle down and banana yelled at him. So, thinking that banana was going to come after him, he elected for a quick escape by jumping down the stairs, about 10 or so, (maybe I should have named him, "thinks he's a super hero") and landed on his foot funny, so that it cracked his 3rd metatarsal (right in the middle of his foot). (Typing this with all the nicknames sounds really weird, but anyway...)

It has been hard to be too empathetic. After all, it was kind of "just desserts" on his part. But, we didn't give him a hard time either. The amazing thing is that he never complained about the cast- and he had it on for 4 weeks!

Finally, the day came to remove said cast. Since I have never broken a bone, or seen a cast put on or removed, I thought it was cool to document just how they take a cast off:


First, the doctor slides a plastic strip inside of the cast along the path where she will be cutting. Then she uses a small rotary saw to cut through the cast.






It was loud.










Next, she pried the cast open a bit.












Then she did the same to the bottom of the cast, and the back.





Wonder what it feels like to get a cast off???




With scissors, she cut the cotton wrapping.

The expression on her face is because of the stench released when opening up the cast.

Just think of a really smelly sock.










Almost there!







Ta da! Wiz kid feels his foot for the first time where it had been broken. There was also quite a bit of dead skin.








He can't believe it's finally off!

4 comments:

Brian -n- Laura said...

Tell Wiz Kid he has a mighty cool cast! All I got when I broke my foot (while white water rafting on our honeymoon) was an ugly black velcro boot. I used to stump around and practice being Quasimodo, that was kinda fun. Sounds like he was quite the trooper! Love y'all! ~ Laura

Teachinfourth said...

He lives!

Panama Jones said...

Given his personality, this may only be the first time and not the last. He did handle it all pretty well.

annette said...

b&l-
You broke your foot during your honeymoon? Did I know about this???
Wiz kid also got a black velcro boot for over his cast so that when he walked around he didn't shred his cast. It almost worked.

tchn-
Yes he does... as a matter of fact, I almost panicked when I saw him jump down from some playground equipment today! He was fine.

pj-
He's already taking chances. Sigh.