(Have you missed me? I've been up late helping kids with homework every night. Yeah, that's how it goes! As a matter of fact, I'm with Red Pepper right now helping her with an assignment as I type this. I just didn't want to put this post off any longer...)
When I was 4, I saw several hot air balloons flying over a mountain range and I decided then and there that riding across the sky in a balloon would be one of the things that I was going to do before I die.
It's been a few years since then, and I still get excited when I see them. This year I decided to drag a couple of kids (some mine, some pseudo-mine) with me to a balloon festival. It took some convincing since it was at 6:30 in the morning, but I managed to persuade a few. The early hour was so we could watch the balloons prepare as well as launch.
Well, As we were walking around, we came across some people just starting on their balloon. They didn't have any helpers that we could see, so I asked if we could help. Much to my surprise, they said, "Sure!" So, we got to hold the balloon open as they blew hot air into it with a humongous fan. We held on tight until the balloon, which is already attached to the basket, pulled itself up.
It was totally cool!
I still didn't get to ride in it, but I'm one step closer!
8 comments:
Very cool. It's amazing the opportunities that pop up when you get up earlier than the rest of the crowd. I'm glad you were able to persuade the kids and the pseudo-kids to make the effort. What a fun experience. And one of these days we'll get you up there in the balloon and see what all the excitement is about!
My sil did the same thing at the balloon fest. She was able to help the ballooners (=eteers?) at several races and they let her ride in it a few times. She said it's every bit as fun as it looks. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
You should come down here sometime - they have an awesome balloon festival over Clear Lake - I have always wanted to go up in one too!
Helping yet another set of strangers...ah, the joys of Christlikeness.
pj-
It's hard for me to get up early, but when I do I always love it. Yes, one of these days.
diane-
I plan on actually hiring one for a trip someday. I've found they do that. I'm just waiting until the kids are a little older and make it a family thing.
B&L-
I know they also have one in Albuquerque. Ours is every year. I wonder where else they hold them?
tchn-
It's easy to help when there are such benefits to be had. :)
Cool picts. I went to one in AZ when I was about 15 or so. My friend's uncle owned one of the balloons in the "race". We got to help unroll it (had to be careful because we were in the desert - not a nice soft grassy lawn). I remember how cool it was and how much power there was when it quickly went from laying down to standing upright.
I haven't ridden in one yet either. They did let me stand in the basket and feel it bop up and down the few inches while they were doing some last min stuff.
The rest of the day was "downhill" after that. LOL
Funny story... Several of the kids in my HS had some relative who owned one. One of them went up all the time in his dad's balloon. He told a story about floating (yes low) over a golf course. He would throw balls down in various places and really confuse the players.
Far-
Maybe next year I can talk you and the kiddos into going with us!
I think it would be cool to ride one over a picturesque area, like the Grand Canyon or arches.
That would be more than awesome. Hubby and the kids got to go up in the buckets the power line guys ride up in. They did free rides at one of the safety fairs at the mall. I was PG with Tinkerbell at the time so I didn't go up.
Post a Comment