1. My highschooler needed the computer for a geography project and we only have ONE computer at home- by choice I might add.
2. When his project was done, I had a film making project of my own to do. Two of my GT classes made films and I had to edit them and burn them to DVD's. A lengthy project to say the least, but always worth it. This has been my 4th year in a row and my students absolutely love writing and making their own films. It's a worthy sacrifice.
3. One of my kids had a birthday and I had to make a cake. Woopty-doo you say? Let's just say it's my creative outlet. Some craft, some scrapbook, I cake. Case in point:
I asked my son what kind of cake he wanted.
"A Ben 10 alien cake- Big Chill"
"What's a Big Chill alien look like?"
Like this " (scroll down and click on "see characters", then under aliens, scroll right to the black guy with a blue hood)
"Oh." (pause while I think of how in the world I can make a cake like that) "Well, I'll give it a try."
I do like a challenge. I've made all kinds, from Calvin and Hobbes, to Snoopy, a whale shark, Pikacho, a laptop, a Risk board game, Strawberry Shortcake, flip flops, all kinds. One day I'll figure out how to scan in pictures and post a few.
So here's his "Big Chill" Ben 10 alien cake. It was one of the more challenging ones that I've done. It took me about 6 hrs. One of these days I'll take a class or two and then I'll be really good.
9 comments:
Impressive cake skills! I would have done something lame like copy a picture off the internet and just lay it on top of the frosting. I hope your kids appreciate it!
"Some craft, some scrapbook, I cake."
LOL. I think some philosopher said it like this: "I cake, therefore I am."
For the love of cake, that is awesome! Let us all know when you get your pictures of your other cakes up! I would love to see them!
AMAZING! You did a great job! We're going to have to get you on one of those Food Network Challenge shows - Ultimate Cartoon Cakes or something! Ask me about the time my mom propped up my brother's birthday cake with toothpicks... :-) Laura
Wow awesome cake! The things we go through for our children.
gerb-
I know they love it- it's a main topic of conversation around birthday time, "What's your cake going to be? Mine's going to be a..."
Appreciate it? Well, that's a hard concept for a kid to truly get, until they've been there. Truth be told, I do it for me- and they just benefit!
PJ-
Hmm, cake philosophy- sounds right up my alley.
Crew-
You bet! I hope to figure it out sometime this summer.
B&L-
Only if they give me 6hrs. and the other contestants have no experience and make it up as they go, like me.
BTW- I tried the toothpick thing too. Using sharp, skinny sticks to hold cake together- doesn't work so well.
Monica-
Ah, yes. At least this one is way fun.
If I remember correctly, you made that AMAZING Calvin and Hobbes cake for my birthday a few years ago, which, I might add, was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen.
LOL - You and I are too similar. I must admit I'm too tired these days to lavish hours on a cake. I use to be the cake woman of the house (when I was only 9 - I taught myself how to make roses). Ask hubby about the batman cake I made him while we were engaged.
Next VT visit you need to come over here and we'll watch Ace of Cakes and scan in your picts for ya. The lesson topic could be "nourishing our families". LOL
tchn4th-
Happy to spoil a very deserving teacher!
Far-
Sounds like a plan! Now, I'll have to dig up those pics. (You know, we could give a class on how to make VT fun!)
Post a Comment