Unusual meeting #1
When I was in 7th grade our ward was participating in the annual stake road show. For those who are unfamiliar, this is where youth from different congregations of our church all compete in a road show. Each ward's (congregation's) youth group plan, write and put on a play following a theme. Each play is presented at the road show, where awards are given for best this and best that. The theme was "our country" and our youth group decided to do a "Coming to America" play, with Smurfs . I was "Smurfette".

(If I knew how scan and copy pics from home, I would put one of me as Smurfette here. Alas, someone help me!)
Anywho, yes I was Smurfette- dressed in blue with blue face courtesy of my dad's concoction of body power mixed with blue tempera powder. Looking at pictures, we looked, um, odd, but we thought we looked good at the time.
So, you've got the picture. While at the road show, I had my eye on this really cute boy named Caden. I was kind of flirting with him, all in blue of course, when a really nice girl introduced herself. Wendy was in the same ward as Caden and she was 13 and in 7th grade like me. She was so friendly and we really hit it off. Wendy and I have been best friends ever since.
I didn't know until years later that the real reason she came over to meet me was not the "cool costume", or because I was new. She had a crush on Caden and was watching out for the competition!
Unusual meeting #2
As a brand new freshman at B.Y.U., I attended the ward opening social for my "new" youth group there. It was a barbeque/dance held in the mountains at Timp. lodge . After the dinner, I was wandering around, helping to clean up trash and such.
As I was heading over to the trash cans, I noticed someone fishing through the garbage. Being the friendly, somewhat ingenuous person I was, I decided to ask what he was looking for.
Slightly embarrassed, he responded that he had inadvertently dropped his retainer in the trash can along with his napkin.
"Well, I'll help you find it." I said smiling.
Somewhat stunned, he replied, "Oh no, that's okay, I'll find it."
"It's no problem." I said, and proceeded, much to his chagrin, to search through the huge trash can. Sure enough I found it, at the bottom of the trash can no less, still wrapped up in his napkin.
"Here you go." I said as I handed him the retainer. "I'd wash that if I were you."
"Oh, I will." he responded.
The next time I saw him was at church the next day, where he thanked me, twice, for finding his retainer.
That, my friends, was my future husband!
Okay, how about you??? Have you met someone in a funny or interesting way? Feel free to leave lengthy comments. I don't get many, so I appreciate each one that I get!
6 comments:
Yes, you made quite an impression, although I still dispute that I thanked you twice. But maybe I was even more smitten than I realized. Several other people had walked past me and sincerely wished me luck in my quest as I fruitlessly ransacked the trash bag, but only one stopped to help. I only vaguely remembered what you looked like--brunette, of medium height--but nothing more. I looked around for the next day or two in the cafeteria trying to remember what you looked like. Then at church I figured it out--not only were you outgoing and thoughtful, but you were also smokin' hot! I was so smitten, maybe I did thank you twice.
Nettle,
At least you have a "good" experience to counter all of the others, right?
Scanning... no problem! Bring them by and I can help you out.. or ... if you have a scanner I can show you how to use it. Just let me know.
--------------------
Strange meetings.... Look who's talking here. What about me is NOT strange - ha ha!
I think the strangest meeting was not necessarily meeting my husband but my parents meeting him.
I met my DH (dear husband) early one saturday morning at a student film shoot at BYU. I was eager to get my feet wet in the industry and was eager to get to know everyone. Needless to say I was alert, energetic, boingy etc.... I saw this silver grey vette stringray rumble it's way into the parking lot. (Intimidating to me) I was looking for a way to get into the building (I was the first to arrive). I saw this cute but very scruffy guy get out and unload his gear. Black leather jacket with an old denim vest over it with a large eagle patch on the back. Ripped jeans with paint splotches. Full beard - nicely trimmed and long hair (just past his collar). Don't forget the small gold hoop earring in his left ear. Black "Mad Max" boots with silver chains around the ankle commanding attention as he stomped down the hall. My heart skipped a beat when he looked up at me (dang! he's cute)... next thought... dang! He's too short.
We worked together on several film shoots. It was the second one we worked on where he "wooed" me into submission. (another story)
Meeting the parents.... DH helped me move apartments. Semester was over and I had 12 hours to be out (and clean the place) of one place and into the other. We both were filthy, stinky and a downright mess. Keep in mind the image of what he looks like (from above story) and add some dirt, extra rips in the jeans from being caught on door strike plate (ripped one of the back pockets) add some sweat and stink.... unbrushed teeth... This is BOTH of us. I also smelled of cleaning products (bleach etc..). We arrive super late at night.... knock on the door (it was chained)... "Hi mom, this is (DH)" ... "sorry about the smell".
Not exactly presenting his best foot forward. After a week my mom was telling me that just because I said "Yes" doesn't mean that I HAVE to go through with it. It has taken her several years to get to know his sense of humor.
Novel is now over....
It wouldn't be me if it was anything less than a novel though.
Hugs!
As I was reading some of the comments on the other blog you linked to it totally reminded me of a HORRID date I had.
First date - A friend of mine (distant friend) decided to introduce me to his "best friend" who just got off his mission. I had heard rumors about how this guy works from my friends that went to the same HS as him (smooth operator). I was keeping my emotional distance as I said "yes" to a date. I didn't have anything else going on in my life. I was cleaning my swimming pool when they stopped by. The most excitement I had had so far that summer.
One hitch... the mutual friend HAS to come on the date too since they don't go anywhere without each other. (roll eyes here). I decided that if he can bring his friend (that I know and tolerate) then I can bring MY friend that i know he LOTHES.
My friend decided to come along on the date to help me out (aka: protect me). Her current boyfriend drove her so we weren't all in the same car.
No.. I was in the car with 2 guys. Most girls would be thrilled. Not me.
We went rollerblading. I had barely learned to regular roller skate... never had rollerblades on my feet! We rented all the usuals along with major guards (wrist, knee - wish they made a butt guard).
Spent the entire night with the one guy (he had fun having me fall all over him trying to stay up). The other friend kept in VERY close contact by constantly calling each other on the cell phone. This was the era where cell phones were NOT that common. Everyone had pagers (not me)... they were "special" because they had cell phones. (eyes roll)
My friend and her BF would zing by every so often and ask if I was ok. I TOTALLY wanted to go home with them but decided to not be as rude as my "date" was. I swear, I felt like the third wheel.
Hey side note from WENDY, I do not know who caden is??? Obviously a few facts are askew. We met that day at the road show, we then spent time during that summer's girls camp, but it wasnt until later at Youth Conference that I sought Annette out coz she did like the same guy I did, Brian C. Funny how things change over time. :), but I have a journal from then to back up my story :)
Wendy-
Oh yes. You are right! Caden is Brian Caden (do I have the last name right?)and it was Fall Creek Falls. Good thing you kept a journal! I remembered your interest in me was at first because of some guy :). That's the part I thought was funny.
Post a Comment